October 2, 2013

One Room Challenge: Week 1

I've decided to participate in the One Room Challenge, an online challenge created by Linda of Calling It Home. The objective and goal is to update one room in your home in six weeks, blogging about the progress.

If you're new to Kate Decorates, welcome! For the challenge, I've decided to take on the nursery so it'll be done in six weeks. Our little girl, Mackenzie, is due at the end of December and since we just bought our home the only thing that's happened to the nursery is a fresh coat of paint and a semi-setup crib.

Before, this room had white walls and a painted blue floor and, as you can see on the left, was obviously used as a boy's room by the previous owners.



I've been focused on getting this room done, going over it again and again in my mind. I posted about my inspiration for this room here. I want it to be neutral yet light and airy with splashes of color... a room that can grow with her.

There's been a lot of fabric planning...



And here's the plan!



The crib has already arrived. I went with the DaVinci Jenny Lind crib in white. I've loved the clean lines of this crib for a long time so it was an easy choice. 

The walls and floors have been painted (more next week!). 

I've decided to go with the Custom Roxboro Upholstered Glider from Home Decorators.

I was going to use Doug's old dresser from when he was a kid but have decided to look out for an antique one in the next few weeks that will be easier for a small child to open since his is super heavy even for me. 

For the windows, I'm either going to recover the roman shades that were in the room, like in the picture above, or I'm going to create pelmet boxes using this tutorial.

The crib skirt is Navy Fleur Chinoise by Caitlin Wilson Textiles. I can't wait to see the finished product when it comes back from the seamstress.

So, that's the plan for now. I hope that you'll check back every Wednesday to see the progress and to make sure that I'm on it. And don't forget to check out Calling It Home tomorrow to see all the other amazing bloggers who are participating in the One Room Challenge!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE your plan! Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sweet and stylish design board makes me wish I had a baby girl! :) It will be fun watching it come together for your new little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam's comment made me laugh ... I am in no hurry, but am looking forward to a granddaughter one day to decorate for!! Love the inspiration here! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your soon to be here baby! I also have a Mackenzie. Looking forward to following along, your plan looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plan in absolutely adorable!! I'm so excited to follow along, I'm linking up too! This is going to be a crazy 6 weeks. Good luck with everything and congrats too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the name Mackenzie. What a fantastic and stylish plan. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same crib. Your inspiration board is great, especially those zebra paintings. How awesome are those? And the copper light fixture. Can't wait to see the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how awesome! love where you're going with this! can't wait to see how it progresses! I'm a new follower BTW

    ReplyDelete
  9. This nursery is gonna be full of ooh-la-la! Can't wait to see it all come together Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am expecting my first baby at the end of February, so I came to check out your nursery plan from Calling it Home -- I love you plan! I already ordered the same crib -- but was curious if you had ever sat in the Home Decorators Glider? I am having such a hard time choosing -- and nervous to buy a chair without the benefit of testing it first. The price is definitely right, but I cannot find many reviews of the product. Would love to hear your thoughts!

    Thanks! Tori vslehman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete